Director of Cultivation
Horticulture: 5 years (Preferred)
Agriculture: 5 years (Preferred)
SMP Cannabis (“the Company”) is currently seeking a Director of Cultivation to be a key leader of its management team located in St. Louis, MO; a brand-new medical market just launched in October 2020. SMP will operate cultivation and manufacturing licenses in MO and is planning further local and domestic expansion. This is your chance to be at the start and contribute to building something amazing in an exploding industry that everyone is trying to enter. It is an opportunity unlike any other in the cannabis industry.
The Director of Cultivation will immediately partner and contribute to the design of new indoor construction of up to 30,000 sq ft of flowering canopy and a manufacturing facility. The Director of Cultivation will collaborate with SMP’s partners, architects, and general contractors to complete its buildout and immediately begin operations. This is a leadership position, but more importantly, this is a get-your-hands-dirty position where no task is too small if it needs to get completed. We expect our leadership to have a positive, problem-solving attitude who focuses on driving the success of the operation at the direct benefit of the patients of Missouri, our employees, and our investors. Accordingly, we are seeking a passionate, driven, long-hour, detailed oriented and collaborative Director of Cultivation to provide strategic leadership, direction, and support to the SMP’s operations. Our principals and management are hard workers who have significant experience investing and managing businesses in cannabis, startups, construction, real estate, and regulated markets.
- Responsible for sanitation of equipment and production areas, preparation and maintenance of nutrient reservoirs and irrigation system
- Assuring all cannabis products are free from contamination risk at all stages; from propagation to harvest
- Monitoring for quality control to ensure process and product quality in line with company standards
- Maintaining a clean and tidy workspace and displaying a high standard of cleanliness and organization
- Monitoring plants for a wide variety of conditions such as plant diseases, existence of insects, nutrient deficiencies, etc.
- Manage the pre-harvest and harvest operations, including staffing, workflow and production schedule.
- Work in collaboration with the Post-Harvest Director to ensure optimal efficiency of production workflow
- Pre-harvest fan leaf removal in the flower room and recording the waste
- Removing trellis netting, cutting down the plant, weighing the plant, and entering the wet weight into METRC
- Removing the waste fan leaves and hanging the plant for drying
- After the plant is dry, removing the flower from the stem and store for curing
- Collaboratively creating and constantly refining our standard work procedures towards the highest quality plant output
- Ensuring team compliance with both our Standard Work procedures and government rules & regulations
- Guiding the team in tracking all activities and work performed in state track and trace software: including plant tagging and tracking, waste tracking, nutrient and crop inputs, harvest entry, and harvest batch tracking
- Employing professional and clear communication practices to maintain a positive and progressive team atmosphere
- Working collectively and respectfully with the other assistant captains and being a champion of Common Citizen’s company culture
- Working with the inventory team to forecast raw material needs to ensure grow and harvest supplies are always on hand when needed and waste is minimal
- Managing logistics of the cultivation team including, scheduling, task management and assignment, productivity tracking and workflow optimization, and inter-department communication to meet inventory needs
- Helping the cultivation team grow and develop new skills through career discussions and planning
- Degree in Horticulture, Biology, Agriculture, or equivalent is preferred. Experience in agricultural or food safety/handling industry is acceptable in lieu of degree.
- Computer proficiency is a must. Experience with cannabis track-and-trace software such as BioTrack, MJ Freeway, or METRC is a plus.
- Must be proficient in using indoor climate and building control software, such as Argus, Priva, Grow Remote.
- Efficient cultivation/production work ethic with application of problem-solving skills to overcome daily cultivation/production issues.
- Knowledge of plant diseases, insects and fungi, as well as plant treatment processes and options.
- Must have accountability, proactive behavior, strong attention to detail. Can follow company policies and contribute towards the goal of achieving production targets within set timelines.
- Good communication and documentation skills.
Capabilities and Skills:
- A high level of professionalism
- A constant desire to learn new skills and believe in continuous improvement, both personally and professionally
- A high regard for integrity and honesty and want to bring those values to the cannabis industry
- Enjoy being part of a team, as well as coaching and mentoring others
- An appreciation for all stages of the production cycle of cannabis, including harvesting and trimming.
- An awareness of the contamination risk between a commercial and home grow
- Extended time sitting, walking, bending, and reaching is possible
- Must pass stringent background test requirements of Missouri
- Approximately $90,000-125,000 annual salary and annual performance bonus, depending on experience
- This position is classified as Exempt and is not eligible for overtime pay.
SMP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in the recruitment, selection, or advancement of employees on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, creed, age, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, or on any other basis prohibited by law.
Employment opportunities shall be provided for applicants with disabilities and reasonable accommodation(s) shall be made to meet the physical or mental limitations of qualified applicants or employees.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract, Temporary
Pay: Up to $150,000.00 per year
- Monday to Friday
- On call
Interviews will be conducted by phone, video conference, and/or in-person with COVID-19 safety cautions in place.
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
Full Time Opportunity:
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented — quality and precision-focused
- Outcome-oriented — results-focused with strong performance culture
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place