Cannabis-infused drinks could be coming to a store near you.
It won’t happen before the end of 2018, but within the next few years people across Ontario could see cannabis drinks in newly minted Ontario Cannabis Store locations.
That’s the hope for staff at Aylmer-based WeedMD, a cannabis producer east of St. Thomas. They’ve partnered with international company Phivida to create a new liquid product for sale across Canada.
If all goes well the product will be manufactured at WeedMD’s new facility in Strathroy.
“I think it’s important to be in the beverage space,” said Keith Merker, chief financial officer for WeedMD. “As human being we’re used to consuming our intoxicants; we drink wine, we drink beer, we drink spirits. And we like to do it in a social setting.”
Cannabis is still a contentious issue. Studies suggest as many as 68 per cent of Canadians believe it should be legalized, which still leaves 32 per cent of the population at odds with current federal legislature to legalize it later this year.
Many of those same people have no problem with alcohol, Merker said.
“If we can create a product that has similar effects to alcohol . . . but has much less in the way of toxicity, then I think we have a winner,” Merker said.
The news of